2013年8月23日星期五

Self Introduction: A Small Girl in This Big World

As an assignment of my 5901 Advanced English class, I should make it as formal as deep as possible. To find your own position in the your academic area,as Mrs. Carreon told us. However, it is not a professional paper that I am writing. It is a blog, where we can broadcasting, or expressing ourselves and make it fun for reading. So let's begin with a small introduction of myself to lead you to my whole big world.

I was born in 1989 and lived without a name or a long period of time. Fang(房) is quite a unique family name in China. That is why my father put more efforts than necessary finding me a good first name which can match this ancient and royal family name he gave me. Finally,the wind carried the good new. A blown-open book offered the final push to this long-struggling task. Chen(宸) which designates the emperors became a part of my identity.


My English name, Evangeline, which means GOSPEL, actually comes from my favorite Japanese animation called Evangelion. As simple as it can be. There is no more big story behind it, no more deep meaning of it. I just simply choose it because I like it. This is one of few decisions that one can make in his life.

There are a lot of things that matters in your life but you cannot even put a hand on it, like my major. I am major in turfgrass management during my five years of undergraduate school. The only reason my parents were willing to support this major for me is that I could get an internship in the US and two bachelor degrees from this joint program.

As time went by. After five years of study, I found myself on the crossing of choices again. Finding a job or going to graduate school? If I am going to graduate school then where should I go, China or the US? Do I stay in the same major or do I transfer to another major? Different futures are lying behind all these choices, pouring down from my top to toes. It appeared to others that I am quite a promising girl with a lot of opportunities, but to me the future at that time is as dark as night, and I was waiting for the dawn.

Now I am at the Ohio State University, in the turf research team with my adviser Dr. Street. Did I made my choice. It is complicated enough to tell clearly. I did not choose the OSU. It is more like the OSU chose me. A nice adviser with a huge amount of financial support, this is not what you can simply ask for. On the other hand, I did make my choice. If the position is a great offer like a brand new car, I am the one who is going to drive it, operate it and maintain it to keep it in a good condition. 

Then I start to understand that, life is full of both possibilities and choices, benefits and losses, opportunities and risks. There are things you can choose like my English name, there are also things you cannot fight against like fate. If you cannot accept what life gives to you, either fight against it to death or take it as a new pathway you have not met in your secret garden, which I prefer. Where does it lead to? Let's just go and see.

没有评论:

发表评论